About Me

Born August 4, 1894 in Auburn, New York to William and Alice Beardsley Woodruff Hills. Younger brother Carroll Beardsley Hills and younger sister Mary Day Hills. Educated at St. Paul's School, Concord, New Hampshire and Princeton University, class of 1917

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Letter dated January 3, 1918

Dear Nannoo (grandmother--Ed):

I have been very poor about writing lately but busy hasn’t been the word. I never in my life remember having had so much to do in such a limited time. We have been undergoing what is known as intensive training, which is all that the word implies and more too. From 6:30 a.m. when we get out until anytime after 9 p.m. when we finally get back to our quarters we haven’t one minute to even turn around let alone time to attend to our personal affairs. I understand that it will be over the 15th however, which is some consolation tho what they will do with us after that date heaven only knows. Your letter came Xmas day with the draft in it and I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it. You were perfectly great to send it to me, and it with what Mother sent me constitutes my Christmas for none of the packages ever managed to get thru, tho undoubtedly they will in the end. Everything here seems to come to him who waits provided only that he keeps above ground long enough to wait for that much anticipated moment. The sweater which you sent me too is wonderful. I wear it any time I am indoors as sort of a house coat and it fills the purpose to perfection. For as you know the winter heating facilities of French country houses according to our standards leave much to be desired.

I have up to now drawn my pay twice and am beginning to feel that I am quite a capitalist for it gives me much more than I need to live on and the balance I put in the bank. As I wrote Mother the other day, I managed to get a couple of days off and got to Paris. I saw Mildred Woodruff and had quite a visit with her, and besides that managed to get a few Xmas presents. I sent you two posters of the war which tho they may be a little lurid for your house I think are rather attractive or if not that perhaps at least interesting.

The part of France we are now in is one I don’t believe you have ever been in for it is quite out of the way and if nothing else wild, barren, cold and not particularly interesting but the amount of work we have to do keeps the mind off anything not concerned directly with the subject at hand. Whether that is fortunate or not I haven’t yet figured out but it has its advantages. This is about all there is to say now or rather all I have time for so good bye. With love, Paul

No comments: