About Me

Born August 4, 1894 in Auburn, New York to William and Alice Beardsley Woodruff Hills. Younger brother Carroll Beardsley Hills and younger sister Mary Day Hills. Educated at St. Paul's School, Concord, New Hampshire and Princeton University, class of 1917

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Letter undated, some time in late October, 1917

HAND-DELIVERED TO PAUL'S MOTHER IN AUBURN, NEW YORK BY “BILLY” SEWARD, NOV. 19TH, 1917

Dear Mother -:


I met Billy Seward on the street today and find that he is going to America by way of England tomorrow. I now have about ten minutes to get everything ready for him to take to you from me.

The first package I gave to Penn to take home but he hasn’t arrived and I understand will stay in England. This one I hope will have better luck. In it there are two (illegible) not as nice as the last ones I sent, a package of photographs of practically all the places I have been and a bible which I picked up in a place the Germans had left rather hurriedly. I wish I had time to continue writing and explain everything. I am writing you a very long letter, a regular book, which when it is finished I will send. As you know I have received my commission and expect to go out very soon to Saumur or Fontainebleau to train for a while as an artillery officer. The chances look just at present wonderfully good both promotion and coming to America within a very few months. This all I have time for now. Good bye.

With love Paul









No comments: