About Me

Born August 4, 1894 in Auburn, New York to William and Alice Beardsley Woodruff Hills. Younger brother Carroll Beardsley Hills and younger sister Mary Day Hills. Educated at St. Paul's School, Concord, New Hampshire and Princeton University, class of 1917

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Letter written March 25, 1918

Dear Mother-:

Well, I have finally acquired the long lost and much anticipated Xmas boxes and they are wonderful. They came yesterday afternoon and if my system ever recovers from the shock I gave it there is hope that I will get thru the war. The fruit cake like all good things do must have improved with age for it was remarkably good and didn’t seem stale at all. (Paul changes to pencil at this point)The ink seems to have given out hence the change in technique. The woolen things too were great and in spite of the fact that summer is nearly here will come in very nicely for I haven’t worn anything cotton in so long , not even sheets by the way, that I can’t imagine what it would feel like. Those little sweaters too of which I now have four are one of the best inventions produced by the war, doing duty for undershirts, sleeping garments or just extra warmth. Thank Mrs. Clark too very much for her little addition. I haven’t managed to eat them yet but am sure that they will be fine. It was great of her to remember me. The last two days have not only been banner ones in every way in that my long-lost uniform which I had thought gone for good came and although I had already bought another it will be welcome and I can be a “jeune officier tres pimpant” (very natty young officer- Ed.) This afternoon I took a bicycle ride to see some people I know – while I was off duty. The weather was perfect and it certainly seems as tho spring had really arrived for some of the little bushes are beginning to have leaves and the grass is quite green everywhere. We are all just now tremendously excited over the Bosche attack on the English and everybody is as anxious for news as tho they were not in war at all. If only they can really give the Dutch a good rub this time it seems to me that it must be if not the end at least some where near it. The whole war when you look at it from a sane, cool point of view is hard to believe. The forces of the whole world all entered on one end – destruction – and as a matter of fact doing a fair job of it. Heavens what a terrific inextricable mess the whole world is in. This is all now - Good bye With love Paul

No comments: